The School at ADM21
The School at ADM21 Mission: To inspire and enrich musical theater dance
students and choreographers in the development of a distinctive artistic expression, through an
expanded course of dance instruction, which unites the work of musical theater's founding
choreographers and teachers, with current styles and trends.
- To continue the legacy of Lee Theodore with a training facility that will be dedicated to instructing future generations of dancers in the styles, techniques and all the elements of artistry that made the original productions worth remembering and due justice to the original choreographers work.
- Will provide a safe and professional space for instruction and maintain a high standard of excellence for our faculty and staff.
- Will employ qualified and professional faculty to instruct in a wide variety of musical theater dance styles and techniques as related to the musical theater form, past and present.
- Will employ current and former notable dancers and choreographers to present master classes and be available for individual coaching assignments.
- Will encourage a style of learning that will reflect ADM21's vision to provide a fully realized understanding of musical theater dance styles with increased knowledge and historical reference.
- Will research and recreate rarely taught dance techniques and introduce a new technique and style class designed especially for ADM21. (It will consist of a warm-up based on the teaching techniques of, but not limited to, Jack Cole, Matt Mattox, Katherine Dunham etc. and will include dance progressions and combinations infused with multiple styles, are technically challenging and character based).
- Will develop an ongoing signature ADM21 ballet class that includes a classical ballet syllabus, guided by the influences of classical ballet in musical theater (De Mille, Robbins, Michael Kidd, etc) including contemporary ballet sequences and character development.
- Will include instruction in voice, acting, tap and dance history for the musical theater dancer as part of our curriculum.
- Will provide ongoing professional instruction and master classes in audition techniques.
- Will develop summer intensive programs for qualified students.
- Will offer a dance scholarship program based on talent and financial need.
- Will develop an outreach musical theater dance program that will encourage support and promote the visions of ADM21 to inner city schools and will follow the K-12 State Standards for Dance Education in New York City.
- Will develop workshops for teachers and future choreographers in order to fully comprehend the basis of our teaching methods.Will give selected choreographers the platform for creating new works through the development of an ADM21 new choreographers program.
- Will give selected choreographers the platform for creating new works through the development of an ADM21 new choreographers program.
- Will provide opportunities for students to perform with the resident ADM21 Dance Company.